Tuesday, 23 November 2010 20:34
7 Tips for Healthy Eating for the Holidays
I want to wish you a happy Holiday season and leave you with a few health tips for the holidays:
- Take some healthy food with you when you visit others - grapes, carrots, apples etc.
- Do your best to not over eat - eat slowly and take short breaks during meals.
- Don't go crazy with food combining - don't mix:
- Acid fruits (citrus, pineapples, sour fruits etc) with sweet fruits (bananas, grapes, dried fruits)
- Fruits with vegetables (except lettuce and celery with fruit)
- Dont mix dairy with most fruits especially citrus
- Don't combine proteins (nuts, tofu, spouts, meat) with starches (gains, beans, starchy vegetables, legumes)
- Dont eat two proteins at the same meal
- Eat melons alone
- Avoid ice cream and cold water - it cools the digestive system and leads to poor digestion.
- Don't drink your calories. There are lots of calories in sodas, alcohol and even fruit juice so it's best to drink water between meals.
- Don't eat continuously - after each meal wait a least 3 hours to eat your next meal so your digestive system has time to recover and get ready for more food (avoids indigestion).
- Alcohol: If you are drinking alcohol have some nuts or goat cheese at the same time to slow down the absorption of the sugar and to protect the intestinal tract.